14/11/2011

Harry Potter 30 Day Challenge - Day 1

I will never be accused of being a fanatic, or a crazy fan. I support India in cricket, Man Utd in football, Nadal in tennis, I have favorite bands, movies, the usual shebang. But I am not a die-hard fan of any of these - I am upset if my guy/team loses, but not angry or heart broken, I don't like it when people insult my favorites but don't jump down their throat for doing so, nor do I mount a fervent defense. I just... support my favorites. Without being too involved or crazy or in love with any of it/them.

The closest thing to an exception is Harry Potter. I Love the series (and of course, like a true Potter fan, by that I am referring only to the books, not the disastrous movies). I am a crazy fan to the extent that I pre-ordered the last three books, currently own all seven, and can generally identify phrases or statements from the book, right down to which part it is from (yes, I am very smug about this fact). I analyze and re-analyze the book, read meanings into small things and sentence structures which Rowling never even thought of to satisfy my whims and fancies about my favourite series. I cried when Sirius died, was furious when Hedwig died, and wanted to throttle Rowling for killing off Tonks and Lupin right after Teddy was born (so I have a teensy-tiny obsession about the Marauders... but really, can you blame me?). Any way, I have always been fascinated by these 30 day challenge thingies. The first one I came across was w.r.t. songs, but I'm afraid I chickened out - not because I don't have a moderately extensive taste in music, but the 'moods' specified were a little alien to me. let's just leave it at that. But this Harry Potter one should be a piece of cake. I mean really, the day Deathly Hallows came out was one of the happiest and saddest days of my life. So here goes.


Day - 1
Discuss how you got into Harry Potter.

My elder brother was reading the series. I was in that stage where I wanted to do everything he did, plus we didn't have a cable connection on our TV so I was bored, and voila! I started reading. Of course, my fascination (obsession sounds a bit harsh, doesn't it...) with the series has long since surpassed his. =D

So that's Day 1. Piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment